It's my lunch hour, so I go
for a walk among the hum-colored
cabs. First down the sidewalk
where laborers feed their dirty
glistening torsos sandwiches
and Coca-Cola, with yellow helmets
on. They protect them from falling
bricks, I guess. Then onto the
avenue where skirts are flipping
above heels and blow up over
grates. The sun is hot, but the
cabs stir up the air. I look
at bargains in wristwatches. There
are cats playing in the sawdust.
to Times Square, where the sign
blows smoke over my head, and higher
the waterfall pours lightly. A
Negro stands in a doorway with a
toothpick, languorously agitating.
A blonde chorus girl clicks: he
smiles and rubs his chin. Everything
suddenly honks: it is 12:40 of
Neon in daylight is a
great pleasure, as Edwin Denby would
write, as are light bulbs in daylight.
I stop for a cheeseburger at JULIET'S
CORNER. Giulietta Masina, wife of
Federico Fellini, è bell' attrice.
And chocolate malted. A lady in
foxes on such a day puts her poodle
in a cab.
There are several Puerto
Ricans on the avenue today, which
makes it beautiful and warm. First
Bunny died, then John Latouche,
then Jackson Pollock. But is the
earth as full as life was full, of them?
And one has eaten and one walks,
past the magazines with nudes
and the posters for BULLFIGHT and
the Manhattan Storage Warehouse,
which they'll soon tear down. I
used to think they had the Armory
A glass of papaya juice
and back to work. My heart is in my
pocket, it is Poems by Pierre Reverdy.
"A Step Away from Them," Frank O'Hara
[Damen Avenue below Division Street]
- ► 2011 (107)
- ► 2010 (115)
- ► 2009 (279)
- last saturday evening there was a great argument i...
- the incessant dissolving of silk
- pride $2.49
- holiday cheer
- city of corners
- at five below, i miss the snow
- slush pile
- sunny early
- rock falls
- 87 87
- touching zero
- would-be burglar taken aback
- a flying saucer christmas
- souls washed clean
- no age
- ♫ the innocence I've known
- ♫ bodies against bodies against bodies in the boot...
- ♫ slipped and cracked
- idle tears
- traffic moves of its own accord
- ♫ after the impact of the cities
- 312photobooth at bar deville
- ♫ west of bishop
- ♫ it makes sense to dream of Chicago, another big ...
- interviewing steven soderbergh
- ♫ a step away from them
- ♫ on seeing the dark knight in imax at 9am
- ♫ after revolutionary road
- ▼ December (33)