Thursday, April 9, 2009
night's friendly takeover
I have a suggestion to make: draw the sting out
as probingly as you please. Plaster the windows over
with wood pulp against the noon gloom proposing its enigmas,
its elixirs. Banish truth-telling.
That’s the whole point, as I understand it.
Each new investigation rebuilds the urgency,
like a sand rampart. And further reflection undermines it,
causing its eventual collapse. We could see all that
from a distance, as on a curving abacus, in urgency mode
from day one, but by then dispatches hardly mattered.
It was camaraderie, or something like it, that did,
poring over us like we were papyri, hoping to find one
correct attitude sketched on the gaslit air, night’s friendly takeover.
"Boundary Issues," John Ashbery
[California Avenue below Chicago Avenue]
- ► 2011 (107)
- ► 2010 (115)
- gentle rain from heaven
- bathe and paddle about bucolically in a mild puddl...
- indistinguishable from magic
- i like this kind of tension
- a kind of gravity
- flat and coolly distant
- here we go again
- take, for example
- like a perhaps
- wine is how words taste
- the doleful cello
- a crowd of grand and confused images
- there are two silences
- an oblivion of care and a freedom from solicitude
- double yolk
- crushed cigarettes and kitchen matches
- you had
- haunted evenings and dark nights of secret assigna...
- must mean something
- night's friendly takeover
- makes me clumsy
- trop retro
- what they are
- things are going to happen that are going to shift...
- down the streets of the big night world
- no one more ferocious
- ▼ April (30)