Wednesday, March 4, 2009
was a dream of this room
The room I entered was a dream of this room.
Surely all those feet on the sofa were mine.
The oval portrait
of a dog was me at an early age.
Something shimmers, something is hushed up.
We had macaroni for lunch every day
except Sunday, when a small quail was induced
to be served to us. Why do I tell you these things?
You are not even here.
"This Room," John Ashbery
[Cortez Street at Western Avenue]
- ► 2011 (107)
- ► 2010 (115)
- let yourself be crushed by it
- easy to deride
- smoke on the ground
- focus dissolved and my thoughts disintegrated
- we buy houses
- sidewalk is closed
- time, gentlemen, please
- dancing about architecture
- absurd to divide
- steal a little
- the names of ten children
- so thirsty for the marvelous
- the color of its countries
- tree-dividing sky
- oh man
- beware of dog
- open letter
- like tears in rain
- america's favorite snacks
- missing pieces of themselves
- in the first place, beautiful objects are small
- invokes the eternal, risks absurdity, invites deri...
- so well by my betters
- was a dream of this room
- some come from ahead and some come from behind
- standing on this corner where there used to be a s...
- ▼ March (32)